Thursday, October 05, 2006

An Obsession

I don't obsess over too many things. I do obsess over cleanliness in my home, almost to the point of being neurotic, but, that's okay, at least in my book.

I have discovered a new obsession. Actually, my obsession over wind chimes has been a secret obsession for awhile, I've just never been able to let it play out, for several reasons. The biggest reason is I've never had my own place to just go wild with them and I've always been a little bit worried about driving neighbors nuts with the sound, especially around these parts, where the wind never really seems to quit.

Wind chimes pull me to them while I'm in any store that sells them. For some reason, I'm always able to find the wind chime section, no matter how small it may be and I have to set all of them going. The sounds bring me peace and clarity and talk to my soul. I can sit and listen to them play for hours as they dance in the wind, no real rhythm, just hopping happily along from note to note, as wild and free as my mind, a soothing kind of melodic chaos.

Today, as an early anniversary gift, Hubby indulged my obsession and bought me the biggest set of wind chimes I've ever dreamed of owning. They are tuned to the same notes of Gregorian chants/gothic cathedrals. They are amazing and add a wonderful new set of sounds to mingle with the ones that already grace my yard. I just don't know where I'm going to hang them. I would guess the longest chime is almost four feet long, it's sound deep and pure, and the set deserves a place where the wind can tickle the clapper and ring sounds from the coppery pipes.

I can't wait to get home and find a place to set them to the mercy of our wind so I can sit on the deck, close my eyes and let the sounds take me wherever they may.

No comments: