Thursday, February 01, 2007

Momentary panic of the mommy kind

I got a call from Unruly's school around 11 a.m. this morning.

"Hi, we're just calling to find out why Unruly is absent today," said the all-too chipper voice on the other end.

Instant mom panic mode: "Ummm...WHAT?! She got on the bus this morning, she should be there."

Holy crap! What was she wearing this morning?! I can't remember what my daughter was wearing when she walked out of the house! Was it the pink striped sweater? Was that yesterday? Oh my god. Boots or tennis shoes? Jeans or slacks? Did she wear her brown coat or the black one? I CAN'T REMEMBER!!! I HAVE TO REMEMBER! WHERE IS MY DAUGHTER!?!

"Her teacher marked her absent. Let me check. Just a moment, please."

Empty noise on the phone line, panicked voices screaming unthinkable scenarios in my head. She got on the bus. I saw her get on the bus. How could she get lost between boarding the bus at home and stepping off the bus at school? It's door-to-door service. Did someone snatch her? Did she fall out a window? Did she fall asleep on the bus and not get off? Where is she? How can you lose a kindergartener?

The voice comes back on the line after what feels like 30 terrible, awful, panicked minutes of just. waiting.

"I am so sorry. I had to track them down, but, she is here."

You're sorry? Just sorry for sending my heart into palpitations and my brain into overdrive? GAH!

"Thank you for checking, I'm glad she's there." My voice is a bit shrill, my lungs gasping for breath, my legs numb and heavy from an adrenalin dump.

I think I need a drink. A stiff drink of the straight-up kind. Tomorrow, I'm going to pay closer attention to what my kids wear to school. Maybe I need to start keeping a notebook of their daily clothing choices, just in case I ever do need to remember.

No comments: