Saturday, March 10, 2007

Review of a lousy book

I could not get through "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs" by Chuck Klosterman. Could. Not. Do. It. I tried, I did, I gave it as much as I could muster, but I just couldn't finish it. I sent the disks back today with two left to go. Yes, I am a book-on-CD audio-buff. I have an hour drive to work, one way, what else am I supposed to do? One can only take NPR for so long at 6 a.m.

Why did I dislike this book so much, you ask? It could have been the voice of Klosterman himself. Advice to Mr. Klosterman...just because you wrote the book does not mean you should read it. Especially if you have a voice that makes me think of a spoiled rotten Valley BOY. He grated on me with every word. Grated. And that just doesn't happen to me very often. I'm usually a very tolerant person of the irritating voices I've come across. And most importantly, I've never heard such useless drivel in my life. I put that little blue Simply Audiobooks box into the mailbox and wondered why the hell I bothered to waste four hours of my life on such insubstantial crap.

Maybe I'm just not quite low culture enough to understand his seemingly bizarre and completely out-there comparisons. I didn't like the book. Period. Don't read it. If you have a single shred of intelligence, avoid cluttering up your mind with this stuff.

No comments: