Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Faux food

I'm at the point where I'm pretty darn scared about the safety of our food supply. E. coli, salmonella, now melamine. Who knows what else lurks in our food waiting to make us sick or kill us. And really, do you actually KNOW what's in the food you're eating? Aside from the 2.5 bugs in each jar of peanut butter? I certainly don't. And it bothers me, a lot. I had no idea manufacturers were adding a coal/urea plastic product, aka melamine, to food, both pet and human, and calling it a protein substitute. Human food, not so much, but still... Ummm...that's not right. And that's kind of gross, actually. Ranks right up there with the stuff they put in hotdogs. *gag*

I guess it's a good time to make the changes to be a more whole food eating family. The fridge and pantry are almost completely empty now and I'm planning a grocery shopping trip this weekend. My list will include nothing but whole, fresh foods and ingredients I recognize as being wholesome ingredients. Whole, recognizeable grains only (not smushed up, smashed or ground), fruits and veggies that look they are supposed to look instead of some pathetic "natural flavor added" substitute. Nothing canned. Meat from the market in town, local meat raised and butchered by area farmers rather than meat whose origins and age are unknown and questionable. At least I know EXACTLY where my eggs are coming from! Next will be the veggies, straight out of my own garden and either into the fridge, the freezer, the dehydrator or a jar. You didn't know I knew how to preserve foods, did ya?

The thought of eating, and feeding my family, something pre-made, pre-cooked or pre-packaged of unknown and unnatural ingredients kind of makes my stomach do flip-flops.

This isn't going to be any easy trek, I know that. There are some things I'm just not willing to give up. Like chocolate. And icecream. But I can certainly find more wholesome versions of those, can't I?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a good, healthy thing you are doing! You have inspired me to do it again. Eating healthy, natural foods sounds so easy, but in reality is a real effort in our processed, refined, prepackaged world. With your skills as head chef at home, I am sure you will create awesome meals. What will you do about kid's lunches at school? Cacao beans are a natural food... As is the little coffee bean. Fermented grains and grapes?

Jenn said...

Thank you! It's going to be tough, and I know there are going to be times when I just want to throw my hands in the air and order pizza, but we'll manage to do this.

As for the girls' lunches, I can pack lunch for Unruly, but Wild, her idea of lunch is a soda and a candy bar, and I really can't control what SHE'S eating at school.

Chocolate, coffee, wine and beer...they all sound pretty "wholesome" to me!