Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Out of the mouths

I think I've mentioned Unruly's disdain for all things cloth, yes? The kid hates to wear clothes. She hates shoes. She hates socks. She'd rather be naked, wild and free. As soon as she hits the door after school, the clothes just start falling off her body and she's pretty much nude by the time she's said her 'hellos' and grabbed a snack. I have given up attempting to keep her clothed, at least at home. It's just not worth it to get into an argument with a six-year-old over whether or not she's going to put some clothes on.

Because honestly? I really just don't care.

I figure at some point she'll get tired of stepping in duck poop or on thorns and put some shoes on. I hope that one day she'll realize the bug bites on her butt wouldn't be there if she actually had some clothes on. One day she'll figure it out and get dressed. She could be 10 by that time, but hey, it's not like anyone can see her running nude through the woods at home!

In the meantime, she's naked girl and I was okay with that until this weekend.

As we sat at the dining room table partaking of our evening meal (a dining delight that was completely gluten, preservative and unpronouncable chemical-free), I caught her playing with her ummm....nipple. Right there at the table. No shame.

"Hey, you! What are you doing?" I asked, trying to not sound like I really cared that my daughter was playing with her nipple at the dinner table. Because you know, if she thought I cared and didn't want her to do it, she'd have a second hand up there in a heartbeat, playing the the other one and grinning like a fool.

"Hmmm? Oh. I'm playing with my booby pimple."

I nearly choked on my forkful of steamed veggies without butter.

"Ummmmm....YOUR WHAT?"

"My booby pimple, mom. This thing," she pulls her nipple out further, just so I can get a better look at it. In case I didn't know what a "booby pimple" was. I swallow hard and look at the carpet, concentrating on a grape juice stain, trying really, really hard not to laugh.

"And why are you playing with your booby pimple, sweetheart?"

Unruly gives me this look that I don't think I can quite define, but I felt like she saw me as a complete and total idiot right at that moment.

"Because it feels good," and she goes back to eating.

Simple as that.

4 comments:

Nancy R said...

OY!

Anonymous said...

Snorting out my nose right now. That child will be the death of you (or your sanity) Goat roper

Slackermommy said...

Ahhhh, the innocence.

Lisa said...

Booby pimple. Too funny.