Thursday, September 04, 2008

Hello, Gustav

Hurricane Gustav is here. Well, the remnants are here, and we are thankful. I think it's kind of stuck over us right now, and I'm not going to complain. Things were getting awfully dry, dusty and brown 'round these parts and we needed the rain. As much damage as those hurricanes do to coastal cities and disrupt so many lives, we up here in the Midwest watch them coming and say little "thank yous," especially when it's dry. It's raining like mad outside, turning my browning grass green and my drooping flowers perky and vibrant again. We depend on those hurricane remnants every late summer. Funny how weather patterns work, isn't it? Katrina brought us pretty nasty storms, lightning, wind, tornadoes, the whole kaboodle. Gustav has brought us a steady, but soft, rain and very little destructive wind.

We've needed a day like this for a few weeks. Rainy, cool, dark and gloomy. Oh, sure, sunny, blue skies are great, we all appreciate them. But every now and then, I need a wet, gray day. For me, they are very relaxing and put me into a mood where I all I want to do is snuggle up on the couch with a good book and a mug of Earl Gray tea and just chill. I love them. And they force me to sit and just do NOTHING. I have a really hard time just sitting and doing nothing. It's a character flaw. I never stop unless something like rainy, snowy or icy weather forces me to stop. Well, most of the time it works, sometimes I just channel that need to DO DO DO and GO GO GO into inside tasks. I'm pretty sure it drives my husband crazy. He has no problem just doing nothing. I find it very hard, heck, I find it very hard to sit through an entire movie without feeling the urge to DO something while I'm watching.

The timing is perfect. Hubs has been sick for the past three days. Stay at home miserable sick. And now, I feel the bug moving in on my immune system. My neck hurts, my tummy hurts and my head is starting to ache. It's a perfect day to go home, curl up on the couch and sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Given what your workplace must be like these days, I'd say every day is a good day to go home, curl up on the couch and sleep.