Thursday, January 11, 2007

Shimmer, shimmer...PUKE!

I get migraines. Sometimes they are so bad I puke and cry when I hear the smallest noise or see the dimmest light. Everything is magnified 150 percent and pounds, pounds, pounds inside my head, behind my eyes, in my temples. I don't get them often, maybe 10 times a year, but when I do get them, I just want to die. Or pull out my brain and put it in the fridge for awhile.

Today I got the strangest migraine ever and it developed rather swiftly into amigraine with a lot of nausea and light sensitivity. At first I didn't know what was going on. I started losing my vision in spots and these shimmery, floating, light colored, zig-zaggy orb thingies started moving around in my eyes. It was bizarre, because I couldn't focus on anything but as soon as I attempted to focus on the shimmery spots, they disappeared for a moment but portions of my vision remained blind. Of course, I panicked, thinking I'm having an aneurism or something equally horrible and horrifying, so, I turned to Google, like every sane person does in a dire emergency to play doctor and diagnose my own medical situation. Between the macular degeneration, corneal detachment, diabetes and ocular aneurism, I found Ocular Migraine.

Yes, my eyeballs had a headache. A bad one, because they transferred it to me and I'm not a happy camper about it at all. Sounds like fun, eh?

It's not. And if this is the path my massive migraines are going to take in the future, I guess I should be thankful for a little warning with the shimmery orb thingies instead of a unexpected punch in the face.

No comments: