Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Closer and closer

"Thank you for moving to a house closer to the sunrise. At the old house, it was too far away, we couldn't see it at all. I like that we are closer."

Out of the mouths of babes. While walking to the end of the driveway to catch the school bus this morning Unruly just up and made this observation. It continually amazes me what she thinks about, what she sees, and how she puts her observations together with the limited knowledge a 6 year old possesses. We watch the sun rising orange and red and yellow over the seemingly endless miles of flat fields and it does seem closer than it was at the old house. The sun is amazing to see and when you stand and watch it long enough, you can see it slowly growing larger, as if the cold, barren fields are giving birth to this shimmering orb.

My house is quiet again and we moved back into the old routine fairly quickly. Some nights, it's too quiet, with Wild out socializing (we're just not good enough for her to hang with anymore. We're the embarassing PARENTS), Unruly sleeping and Hubby at work. I get a few hours of that rare, precious me time, which I relish and savor. I catch up on reading, I throw a few more stitches into the cross stitch project I am working on, I write, I clean. I know I shouldn't spend that precious time cleaning, but, it happens, so I go with it.

On another note: I went to the pet store yesterday to pick up various pet stuff, including wild bird feed. I like to feed the birds. I get a kick out of looking out my window and seeing so many cardinals, finch, black-capped chickadees, woodpeckers, wrens and titmouse (mice?), hanging out around the deck. So, I feed them. Hubby laughs at me and makes jokes about it, but I don't mind. Anyway, I found the strangest bag of bird seed, and was half-tempted to buy it, but resisted. This bird seed was a variety mix of different seeds and, get this, freeze dried mealworms and beetle larvae. Bugs. In the bird seed. I like feeding the birds, but that was just over the top ridiculous in my book. And it was almost $10 for a five pound bag. Ugh! I go through a five pound bag of bird seed in two days! That's nearly $30 a week, for the wild birds. *shakes head* It's insanity I tell ya.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The image of Unruly on the split rail fence, the sun rising behind her as she enthusiastically greets the new day, greets me each time I turn on this computer. Thanks for the memories!