Friday, March 02, 2007

Keepin' it simple

When it comes to my cell phone I'm not incredibly picky. I wanted, and eventually found, a phone that did only what phones do: transmit voice signals to enable me to engage in conversation. I did not want a phone that took pictures or retrieved my email or acted like an MP3 player. I have a digital camera, a compuer and an MP3 player, my phone just needs to be a phone.

Anyway, I was thrilled to find it. It's simple. It's easy. It's blue. It was cheap and it's fairly new. So, when I left it plugged in to the charger for two nights in a row and it wasn't taking a charge, I wanted to cry. This morning it was dead and my heart sunk to my knees. Do you know how HARD it is to find a simple phone? A no bells, no whistles phone? It's hard, believe me, and then, once I found it, the damned sales people tried to talk me out of it, insisting EVERYONE needs to check the weather and email on their phone and take pictures in inappropriate places. I kid you not.

On the other hand Hubby needs to have the latest of everything. He just got the NV phone and a fancy-schmancy hands-free Bluetooth headset to go with it. This headset it so fancy it probably has GPS and GoogleEarth in there somewhere, just in case he gets lost and won't stop for directions. Anyway, this particular headset requires charging. Yes, charging. You have to plug the damn thing in to the wall. Too much effort, in my opinion.

The headset charger looks EXACTLY like my phone charger, so when I plugged my phone into my charger and I checked that it was actually plugged in to the wall what I saw was HUBBY'S charger plugged into the wall. He had unplugged mine and just left it lying there like the pathetic low-tech piece of equipment it is. Tossed aside with contempt by my UberGeekSquad husband. I didn't realize it was receiving no juice as I panicked over my stone age phone's apparent inability to keep a charge.

I thought I was going to have to hunt him down and strangle him.

So, in a fit of child-like behavior I exerted my passive-aggressive tendencies and hid his charger. HA! Take that, techno-boy!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for the visit. I grew up in farm country in Illinois? Where are you from?

Also, I'm trying to get a little St. Louis BlogHer thing together March 31. Are you interested? If so, let me know!

Lisa said...

Hi Jenn,

I looked at your other blog. I was dying to know more about you. You seemed so much like someone I know. Especially when I saw World Wide Rolves on there...

Anyway... SO wierd. I worked for your sister paper (in Highland) many, many years ago... And know of a few BND reporters (or they were there years ago...) Where did you go to J-school?

Jenn said...

Hi Lisa!

We are in the Greenville/Pocahontas area, but I've lived in Collinsville, Millstadt, Edwardsville, on Scott AFB and Belleville. I graduated SIUE and I've been at the BND for, oh, going on 13 years now.

The St. Louis BlogHer thing certainly sounds interesting, and something fun to do! You can email details and whatnot to journalistjenn@yahoo.com.