Friday, October 05, 2007

My brain strikes back

It has become overwhelmingly apparent to me that I am losing my mind. No, really. I'm losing it. As in losing my memory because I'm getting OLD and brain cells are kicking the bucket.

How do I know?

I had to dig out the bolt cutters and cut the combination lock off my gym bag because I couldn't remember the combination. For three days I tried every combination I could pull out of my head. Oh, I remembered several combinations, but for some reason, my brain was accessing memorized combinations from HIGH SCHOOL.

But wait! That's not all! This morning I couldn't remember the PIN for my debit card. That's right. The little four-digit number I've been using for the past 10 years, almost every day. Couldn't remember it to save my life. For some reason, the last four digits of a phone number I had in GRADE SCHOOL kept popping into my head. And then the phone number "867-5309" kept making an unwanted appearance.

It gets better. I opened the dryer four times this morning to take my jeans out so I could get dressed for work. Three of those times the dryer was empty because I took my jeans out the FIRST time I opened it and tossed them on my bed.

I'm surprised I made it to work this morning. Who knows, maybe I'll end up in Canada when I try to get home this afternoon.

11 comments:

MP said...

Take a nap...drink some coffee...breath some fresh air..you need to shake those cobwebs!!

Marisa said...

HA! I have dreams about once a month in which I remember the combo to my locker from elementary school. Two days ago the phone number 667-1038 popped into my head - it was my childhood best friend's phone number.

Liz said...

Are you stressed out? You sound stressed out. I do crazy stuff like that when I'm rushed.

Anonymous said...

Hey, drop by my place before you get to Canada. We'll have a beer and chat for a bit.
If you can remember where I live. Or who I am. Muahahahahaaaa!!!

Jenn said...

MP...Oooo....a nap. I do need a nap. I've been trying to doze off at my desk all day but the danged phone keeps ringing and forcing me back to work.

Reesepie...it always surprises me what weird stuff pops into my head at the oddest moments. Certain smells especially bring back vivid images of childhood and very specific places. The human brain is amazing like that.

Marriage-101...I think I'm stressed out so often I don't even know what it feels like to NOT be stressed out.

Amy...Who are you?

Nell said...

I also think a nap might be good, or just a long hot bath and some tea.

I also can not remember what it feels like not to be stressed out. We need to do something about that.

Anonymous said...

can't remember shit now...wait 'til you hit 40!!!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha Ha make it 70s. Can't remember my phone number, or addresses, any thing happening now, or past week, But all the things from years back, and combinations, phone numbers,addesses from childhood , all right here in head, What did I eat for dinner this evening????

Lots of fun, like a big puzzle, guees what??

Wendy said...

Not remembering my locker combination after Christmas break was a recurring nightmare of mine for years. Thank goodness my gym has a built-in code on the lockers now. Whew.

Love that about the jeans! I though you were going to say you were wearing them!

Jenn said...

Nell...A long bath sounds fabulous! I haven't had the time to relax in the tub for ages.

a.ddiane...I'm starting to worry I won't remember my kids' names when I hit 40! At this rate, I'll be lucky to remember my own.

lov grma...so this is just the beginning of the downward memory spiral. I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, so I guess I'm well on my way!

Wendy...every time I opened the dryer and they weren't there, I did check to make sure I wasn't wearing them...I think that would have been worse!

Joeprah said...

That funny about the dryer thing...I am pretty sure I wash my hair at least twice every morning because I just can't remember doing it the first time. Hey, thanks so much for checking out my blog...you are awesome!