Tuesday, August 01, 2006

When worlds collide

It's official.

My little blue car has a big red bullseye on it and drivers keep aiming for it. Four times now I've been hit, the last three times in the past three years. I'm thinking I need to get rid of Little Blue and buy a Big Honkin' Pickup Truck. With smiley face fog lamps. And chrome. Lotsa chrome. (okay, I'll admit to being a little bit redneck. Just a bit. Maybe just a pinkneck.)

I was tooling along, minding my own business while heading out to an assignment. I wasn't even moving when the woman in the car behind me somehow managed to confuse brake with accelerate and smacked into me. Of course, I played accordian car and smacked into the car in front of me.

So there we were, four complete strangers brought together by one inattentive driver. An elderly couple on the way to a doctor's appointment, a reporter on the way to an assignment and a woman (aka the crappy driver) going to visit a client. We met, rather violently, made our respective reports, and departed just as quickly. Four lives, connected and disconnected, all in a matter of 20 minutes, but in a way that will last in the collective memories for months to come. I yelled at the crappy woman driver. I am ashamed, but I did it and I can't suck the words back into my throat. She hurt me and scared the crap out of me and my immediate reaction was to ask her "what the hell were you thinking?" in a rather loud voice. I didn't use my inside voice, and I didn't use my nice voice. I felt I deserved a little stress relief, and yelling was the valve to let off steam.

I sure hope this little fender bender didn't mess up all the physical therapy I've been through to fix the two bulging disks in my neck. I'll be highly pissed if it did.

There are a few things I want to share about recent events regarding Wild and her cell phone. I'm not up to blogging about it right now, but I will. It's not pretty, and as a parent of a teen, the whole situation has scared the shit out of me. I want to wrap her up in massive sheets of bubble wrap and protect her from all the bad, bad people in the world. I know I can't, but I sure would like to try.

Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Hubby, happy birthday to you! I love you, old man.

No comments: