Friday, February 29, 2008

An extra day of winter...ick

It's Leap Year Day. One extra day in February. One more day I have to wait until spring. One more day of cold and ice and sweaters. I'm at the hating sweaters point. I'm ready for tank tops and cut offs.

I thought I'd try to hurry spring along last night and get outside to work in my garden beds a bit. Clean 'em up, get 'em ready, but some compost on 'em. I figured if I was making an effort, maybe Mother Nature would get a clue and wake up a tad bit earlier.

No such luck. It got cold. My hands FROZE. Then it snowed. Yes. It snowed. Again. I'm so freakin' tired of the cold and the ice and the snow and the frozen mud. I want spring here. And I want it now. My daffodils and crocus are already starting to peek their little green heads out of the ground, there are signs spring is coming. But it just can't get here fast enough.

I have piles and piles of nursery/flower catalogs and I've pretty much picked out enough flowers, plants, trees, veggies and shrubs to landscape an entire city block. My fingers feel the itch to be buried deep in rich, warm earth and make life happen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aren't you pushing it a bit?!?!Have patience!

yoo hoo said...

The weather has been so fine the last couple of weekends that we've been able to get out and start the spring clean up. YEA!!! But I've been gone all week for work so I'm glad it's supposed to rain so I can sit, relax and read.
Soon we'll be complaining it's too hot...never happy are we?

Anonymous said...

OH, to just go out, in the warm sun and dig in the dirt, plant some pretty flowers, smell the nice fresh air. NO coats, no snow. Now so tired of all this cold and snow. Please Mother Nature, bring on the warm sunny weather. It has been a long winter.